Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Research Challenge | Contests & Competitions | SIGGRAPH 2009

All animals, including people, experience the world in different ways. Every animal has unique sensory equipment and a unique way of processing the information it receives. Some animals sense things that people are unaware of, and others sense the same things people do but interpret them differently. For example, bees can see in the ultraviolet range, some starfish have "eyes" all over their bodies, flies have multi-faceted vision, and sharks and some birds can sense electromagnetic fields.

The SIGGRAPH 2009 Research Challenge problem is to choose a specific animal, or a specific animal's sense, and develop a system that will enable a person to experience the physical or social world as that animal does.

Individuals and teams develop innovative solutions to a challenge problem, demonstrating their creativity, design, and execution skills. Selected finalists will present their work to a panel of distinguished judges in a public session in competition for final awards.

** I still really want to go to TEDGlobal in Mumbai/Mysore but SIGGRAPH sounds really good. At least this challenge sounds good. However everything else I've read is privileging visual art in a way that I find is not at all critical (in so far as I'm aware). And is also heavily code geeky, which is making me feel inadequate. And if I mention Panda3D I'm going to have to get it and learn it or msdramagirl won't forgive me.

Posted via web from AmIArt

No comments: