Saturday, September 13, 2008

Geek Illustrated - so glad i found it

Touch me Will Robinson

Touch me Will Robinson
Touch me Will Robinson
Touch me Will Robinson
...what self proclaimed geek hasn’t felt a frisson of excitement or stroked up a frenzy with all that gorgeous touchscreenery that’s become the mainstay of small hand-held devices.

Recent talk and media coverage surrounding University of Maastricht’s artificial intelligence researcher, David Levy’s thesis "Intimate Relationships with Artificial Partners," in which he proposes that robots will become so human-like in appearance, function and personality that many people will fall in love with them, have sex with them and even marry them, has had my mind spinning in all directions, reflecting on the kind of current relationships I have with the machines in my life – none of which I think can be seriously considered “robots”, although even the definition of “robot” if Wikipedia is to be believed, seems as contentious and fraught with complexity as the actual prospect of considering a life-long attachment to a robot partner .

blog it

No comments: